Saturday 14 May 2011

The Invaluable Value Of Family


I know I'm blessed.  I have a beautiful family with three wonderful kids.  I'm sure they know they're blessed too.  They have us parents around them always, attending to their every need.

But there are kids out there who do not know the meaning of a complete family unit.  Their parents may be working overseas, or divorced, or separated.  Friendship is what they look to for support.  Sometimes they do not want to go home because there is no one or nothing to go home to.  It really saddens me.

I have told my kids to welcome them, be their friend in need, bring them around to our house so they can experience the warmth of a family dinner instead of eating alone at some fast food joint.  

I remember the days when I was a latch-key child, often when I forget my house keys I'd go to my friend's house for instant noodles lunch... even though it was just instant noodles, I am forever grateful for her kindness and companionship.

Unfortunately, this lack of a strong family bond will invariably have an impact on children's development, right into their adulthood, and that's keeping our fingers crossed that in the meantime they do not wander into bad company in their unsupervised time away from home.  An insecure child will turn into an insecure adult, to put it simplistically without delving into psychotherapy.  

For all the time we parents spent slogging to earn more money to give our kids a better life, we must remember that nothing beats the unconditional love and attention of caring parents in forming a secure, stable and loving relationship with our children.  Do we really need that luxury sedan, a bigger house, the latest iPad?  Have we forgotten the simple joy of a family picnic by the seaside?  Do we really want to spend the little time we have left after a long hard day at work, to nag at our kids on their homework?  Or do we really want to hear our children's cheerful chirp about their day in school, get to know their friends, be a shoulder for them to cry on sometimes?


I admit I was guilty too.  I felt they were a burden while I was a working mum.  While trying to excel in my work, I'm beat daily from juggling a full time job and constant business trips to have any energy left to care for three young kids.  This is perhaps one reason why Singaporeans aren't producing enough children.  I'm thankful I now have the opportunity to stay home during their formative years, to care for, guide and teach them, and most importantly, just to be around for them.  That was when it dawned upon me : they're not a burden, they're my life's greatest blessing.  It is a choice.  It is not a sacrifice!


Julianne Lee