Saturday 7 May 2011

Reboot Camp For The Mind

An age old meditation technique has made me a new man, teaching me to cleanse, nourish and recharge my mind.


Meditation with mindfulness called Vipassana prescribes taking an "observer" versus "indulger" approach to experiencing life events.  Vipassana means seeing things as they really are.  (It) focuses the mind's energy like a laser beam on the present and orients it to view things neutrally and objectively.  Thereby we free up previously inaccessible parts of our brain for productive and purposeful pursuits.


It's like when your computer operates slower when multiple software programmes and browser windows are open.  The moment you close all but the one that you are using and clear all temporary files from the cache memory, your computer becomes a lot more efficient.


The practice of meditation has transformed me in a powerfully productive way and enhanced my sense of well-being while removing feelings of stress and anxiety.  The process also transformed my attitude to life and unleashed my mind in ways I never imagined.


I now view it as essential to the health of my mind, just as bathing, eating, and exercising are critical to the health of my body.


Manish Chopra